Friday, November 27, 2009

Twitterrible!

It was horrible! I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when hundreds of people in matching robes came up behind me, following me, trying to put a giant '@' in front of me. Suddenly, I woke up.

I was never a fan of Twitter. I thought the whole idea of it was pointless. It seemed like a bare-bones version of Facebook, without all the extras.

My first Twitter experience began back in September, when Glenda and Jasmine challenged me to join Twitter for 3 weeks, and then say I still didn't like it. I took on the challenge, and won, but can't help but feel like I cheated them. My first 2 months of Twitter use comprised one tweet the day I signed up, and never going back again.

Now, I feel like the only person I cheated in that little contest was myself. A PR assignment, requiring singing up and following classmates, changed everything. Seeing the true potential of Twitter is exciting, and I can't believe how closed-minded I was back in September toward the website. It was a hatred, an ignorance-fueled hatred to all that is Twitter. Any mention of it, and good beginnings of rants would begin playing out in my head. The problem is that these little rants never had a point to make, and the argument of the seasoned Twitterer always prevailed.

I now realize the true potential (or at least part of it) of Twitter. Not just for sharing with friends, but for networking, for learning, for seeing others' views on a particular subject. Want breaking news? It's there.

The best way I have seen Twitter used in the short 3 days I have actually logged on regularly, would be tonight, where all of us CreComms helped each other. It was like a business conference, but more fun because there is a picture of a bird in the corner! Of course, it is more than that. Twitter takes instant messaging to a whole new level.

The capabilities with not only the web-based Twitter, but cell-phones as well are endless. Wireless messages to a cell makes connecting to the world so much easier, especially for us non-iPhone people. Simply sending an SMS to send a tweet, or retrieve another, I think that is remarkable.

So after a few months of hatred, anger, and ignorance, I finally see Twitter's potential, and not as a cult stalking me, or feeding me pointless information about what they are doing.

2 comments: